Monday, June 22, 2015

Career Goals

I recently changed jobs and was able to begin working in Toronto (a long standing goal of mine). This change got me thinking about my other career related goals, and where I want to see my work head in the next few years.



I was given a great piece of advice by a mentor of mine to "make an elevator pitch for your career". She suggested that I try to be able to articulate what I want out of my career long-term in 90 seconds or less. I have been thinking about it for a few weeks now, and I definitely don't have one firm pitch ready to go - but I do want to share what I have come up with so far.

The extremely short version is this: I want to work in a setting where I can leverage my passions, skills and past experiences to help make positive change.

But since I have a whole 90 seconds in this hypothetical situation.. I will elaborate a little more.

I want to help people.  
I want to contribute to making the world a more equitable place for all. I want to work with women, children, and youth to empower them to be the writers of their own stories - no matter what has happened to them. I want to stand with marginalized people and work with them towards empowerment and success. I want to connect with communities, and build systemic change to ensure all people have a chance to achieve their dreams!

It might sound a bit lofty or intense - but that's it. That sums up my long term career goals in less than 90 seconds!

It is exciting to see that I am working in the right direction, and that I am in a far better position than I was just 2 months ago. In my current role I get to interact with different charities every day, and help them gain access to valuable resources. Let's see where this takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment