Monday, December 16, 2013

The Monthly Goals System



This time last year I had an idea... I wasn't going to make the same old endless list of new years resolutions.. I was only going to allow myself 5. The catch was that each month I would sent smaller more tangible goals for that month. I'm someone who loves goals and I find them very motivating, so this was an exciting new idea for me.

It ended up taking some time for me to really figure out how I could make these monthly goals motivational to me instead of stressful. Looking back now, I feel like I am way better at setting reasonable, realistic and helpful goals to achieve something. It has been such a useful skill to hone and something I am so glad that I did.

I started in January with only 1 rule: No more than 5 goals per month.... now 12 months later I have added a second stipulation, no open ended goals. Nothing like "be less stressed". That type of goal doesn't work for me because there is no way to know if you have achieved it. What does that even mean?? Now I would put something more tangible like "read once per day to reduce stress". Reducing stress is still the core of the goal, but it is tangible and achievable... much more useful in my opinion.

I have also learned to be more reasonable in how much I take on. This is a very, key ingredient to achieving goals. If I knew I was traveling 2 out of the 4 weeks in the month, I should have made smaller goals (something I didn't always do..). Now I know what months I can push myself, and what moths I know to take it easier.

12 months later, I fully intend to keep up with this again in 2014! I feel like I'm finally hitting my groove with how to use this system to my advantage, and I can already feel how it will help me in achieving my many big goals for 2014.

If you decide to adopt the same system, I highly encourage you to give it the full year before you decide if it is helpful for you or not. 4 months in I would have said it wasn't really helping, but 12 months down the road I am sold!

Do you use a different method for goal setting or for new years resolutions? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just saw your vlog on YouTube, and I really like the idea of monthly goals! I do kind of set goals for each year, but honestly forget them after a few months or do not work towards completing them (‘write book X’ is pretty intimidating). Maybe I’ll give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Glad you watched, and liked the idea. I find monthly goals so much easier to handle. I hope you have some success with it! (Maybe try, write 1 chapter, as a monthly goal? That sounds waaay easier!)

      Delete