Sunday, July 28, 2013

Job Hunting Reflections: Water & The Environment

When you start a job hunt, you also really get to thinking about what it is you actually want out of a job, and why it is that you are looking in the field that you are. Besides the obvious "I studied in this field", there are so many more reasons I am interested in water and the environment.


I realized this early last week when I finally (after lots of searching) started coming upon companies that aligned with what I was looking for. Because I graduated just over a year ago, I was kind of forgetting what it was that I actually wanted out of a job. But I'm happy to say that I feel like I've re-discovered what it is I'm looking for!*

I've noticed I become very interested and curious about companies when they seem to have a genuine desire to better the environment. Often describing themselves as sustainability minded,  multi-disciplinary, interested in protecting biodiversity and maybe even having a focus on community. I know that is a lot to ask! But I love the idea that my work could be about more then just the work itself; it could be about the bettering of a community as a whole.

I understand that at the end of the day, it's just a water plant (or whatever it may be), but that water plant will provide much needed clean water to a community. I think keeping that in mind can make you feel better about your work at the end of the day. (Which I know may sound cheesy, but who wouldn't want to feel like their work is helping people!)

The reasons I decided to study engineering was because I love problem solving and I love trying to think of a creative solutions to complex problems. But what I love even more, is the idea of getting to do that with the end product being something that will somehow, even in some little way, leave a community, or the environment better of then it was before.... so with that oh-so-tiny goal, lets hope I find something!! 

*This does not mean I will get this job right away, however, it's nice to know where I want to aim!

No comments:

Post a Comment