Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Thoughts on Getting Things Done!

Hey peeps. So remember that time that one of my blog pieces got accepted to be on the Wonderly website? Yes? Well, I've since been accepted to be on the Wonderly website every Tuesday! What? Ya. Pretty cool.

So I figured if I'm writing a new weekly series anyways, I might as well share it over here too! On the Wonderly site the series is called "Carly Talks About". It's going to be a bit of a branch out from what I normally talk about here, but I think it will be a great challenge for me to talk about a wider variety of things.  And hopefully it will help me improve my writing skills (says the girl who just started this sentence with and....).

Anyways, enough rambling, here is my first week of Carly Talks About.



To start this series off, I’m talking about getting things done. I often find myself in a position where I've got a million things to do, and very little time to do them. Lucky for me I love being busy and having lots to do, but it means having to be pretty damn good at managing my time. I’ll freely admit I wasn't very good at this during high school, but over the past 5 years since then, I have learned a lot and have become quite experienced in the field of getting things done. So here are the three main things I've learned along the way.

First, make a to-do list of every little thing you want to get done. Be aware of the time frame for the list; are you looking at things you want to get done just for that day, or for your whole week? I like to list every little thing I’d want to get done for the week, and then I step back and think about what is on the list. Is this really something that needs to get done this week? Or at all? After I've crossed off a few things that can’t or don’t need to get done (ie: plan trip to the moon or start dating Harry Styles) then I pick tasks from the large list and assign each item to a day. This will give you 7 (or however many days you decide to use) to-do lists. This allows you to see all the things you have to do in the week, but makes it feel way more manageable with only a few items per day. It might sound a bit intense, but you’d be surprised by how much it can help, and how little time it takes!

Second, be realistic. If you've written out all you want to do in the week and it’s 18 pages long, well, it’s probably not going to happen. And that is okay! You’ll learn as you go how much you can actually do in a week (or any given time frame), and saying no to projects will become easier. (And a bonus tip: it is okay to say no. Even if the only reason you’re saying no is you just aren't interested in the project/activity/event. If you don’t feel like attending your friend’s aunt’s sister-in-law’s 50th birthday party, then say no! Learning to prioritise what you want to get done, and learning to say no will help you big time!)

Third, don’t get caught up trying to make it “perfect”. Perfection doesn't actually exist. There is no such thing as perfect. I personally find this advice liberating when I’m working on a creative project, such as sewing, editing for youtube, or even writing a blog post ;). I always try and do my best of course, but if I’m sewing a new tote-bag and I realize half way through that it would have looked nicer with a different coloured thread, I don’t destroy the bag or start over, I take note for next time. I’m not going to re-do the entire bag for some simple thread detailing. The same applies to any activity or project, do your best, but don’t get hung up aiming for some mystical land of perfection.

And if all else fails, put it on the list for next week! (And maybe try your best to take on a few less projects, but I know that can be easier said than done.) Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I found your blog via Wonderly, and I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete