Thursday, September 6, 2012

When Crafts Go Wrong!

This is a pretty old project, I actually finished it almost 2 years ago, but I never shared it because, well, it didn't work out as planned. I attempted to crochet an over the shoulder bag without a pattern, and without really much knowledge on the topic. I basically thought, if I make a giant hat and add a stap, it will be a bag? Right?

(sorry for the crappy mirror pictures)

I forgot that crochet is loose and that if I put anything in the bag it will expand. I did end up with a pretty good bag when it's empty, but as soon as I fill it, it stretches out to below my knees.


I will say I liked the trip and the colours, but man it did not work as a bag. I think next time I'll actually look into getting a pattern. Lesson learned!

4 comments:

  1. Tie a knot in the strap and it will sit up higher! I sometimes do this with these types of bags, because I really don't like it when they are rubbing on my leg.
    You might have to tie it pretty far down the strap to get the bag to sit and the right length, which might mean it's hard to get over your head. But then you can just wear it over one shoulder!

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, I'll give it a shot! I think I'll have to start over for my 'over the shoulder bad' though. :)

      Delete
  2. Did you by chance use a wool yarn? If so, you can felt it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is such a good idea!! I hadn't considered that. thanks for commenting :)

      Delete