Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Iron Ring

First off, Happy Valentine's Day! I will have a post of what I made my rommies for Valentines's Day coming up on Sunday, but until then I wanted to share a little something about my undergrad degree. 

For those of you that are either a) not from Canada or b) not paying attention to the obsessions of 'almost engineers', let me explain.

Once you are about to graduate from an Engineering Undergrad at a Canadian university, you go through a secret ceremony to get your iron ring. The iron ring is a ring that you wear on the pinky of your working (dominant) hand. The idea is that when you sign your name on a project your ring will hit the table and remind you of your obligations and duties to society as an engineer, yes, it is nerdy, but so awesome. Wikipedia has more details if your curious. 

Basically, if you're in an engineering undergrad in Canada, it's a pretty big deal.


I'm bringing this up because I had my ring fitting last Wednesday, and the official ring ceremony is coming up March 6th. Needless to say, I'm getting pretty exciting! After almost 5 years of work, and limited sleep, I am so excited to be getting my ring!

I'm brainstorming some kind of commemorative craft to make for the occasion. I think it will be some sort of embroidery project, but at this point, I'm still not sure. A whole quilt dedicated to engineering themes would be pretty cool too! Although, I don't know if 'engineering fabric' exists....

I plan on posting a bit about this as graduation comes closer, and wanted to give a little back ground info on what the iron ring is, and why I am so excited to get it! It is a guarantee that I will post pictures of my pinky come March 7th! If there happen to be any other quilting engineers out there please say hi in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. That is seriously cool! An iron ring to remind you of your obligations?!?! That has the sound of an interesting plot! I think an engineering quilt sounds awesome. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete