Friday, November 11, 2011

DIY Stamp Carving


I bought a stamp carving kit a few nights ago and thought I would take some pictures along the way to show how to make your own stamp out of a rubber block. It was fairly straight forward and a lot of fun!

Here is what you'll need:




I bought the kit because it already has everything you need, but you can definitely find each piece sold separately. I found my kit at the local art store (Wyndham Art Supplies).

Now, start making your stamp!



Steps 1 and 2 are pretty self explanatory!




3. To transfer the image from the transfer paper to the rubber block you can use 2 different techniques. You can simply place it face down and rub the tracing paper into the rubber (carefully so you don't move the image around) or, you can iron the image into the rubber. I recommend using an iron if you have one because it is easy and seems to transfer more ink, but If you don't have an iron the first method should work ok too!

4. It is helpful to have at least 2 different carving tool heads. They come in different sizes, and if you are doing any kind of intricate detail (for example letters) it is helpful to have a small tip. I used sizes 2 and 4.




5. This is a really important step! I highly recommend it!

6. When you are carving, remember to go slowly so you don't accidentally carve off the side of a letter or part of your image.

You might notice the w in the word sewcial on my stamp is a little bit wonky, I did not listen to my own advice, and I accidentally carved off the top of the W. My plan is to try and repair it with some super glue and a small piece of rubber, hopefully that works out. (feel free to try that method if you too carve off something by accident!)



That's it! Enjoy your new awesome stamp :)

No comments:

Post a Comment