Thursday, May 19, 2011

Manitoba Craft Museum (and more)

Today I had the day off, so I took advantage of it, and set out to see some unique Manitoba sites. I found out there is a craft museum downtown(ish) so I thought I would check it out. It was very cool, however quite small, I would have loved to see more. Thankfully the Winnipeg Art Gallery is very close, so I just went there after I was done.

Here are a few pics from both places.

That is a giant scarf, knitted from other smaller scarfs!
The reason the label on the above says knitting the bridge, is because all of the scarfs behind the sign were used to cover a bride in Winnipeg. After they did the "knit the bridge" exhibit, they brought all the scarfs back to create this display. (Which I thought was just lovely)

This is the ball of "yarn" which is just smaller scarfs leading to the giant scarf display

How could I not love this :)

A bike entirely knit from wire, even the flowers in the basket

Winnipeg Art Gallery

Made me think of my friends who just visited Chernobyl

So that's a bit of what I saw today. I had a good time visiting with two cousins I hadn't seen in forever too, and I got to see my Mom before she headed home. It was a lot of fun AND I started to figure out the bus routes which is awesome. I want to be out doing things every weekends, and with no car, I better learn to use the buses fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment